The institution now known as Duke University was founded in Randolph County, NC, in 1838, as Brown’s Schoolhouse. By 1859, it had been renamed Trinity College. Trinity College moved to Durham and what is now East Campus in 1892.
In 1924, James B. Duke founded Duke University, named for his family. Trinity College became the undergraduate college for men. In 1930, the Woman’s College for undergraduate women opened on East Campus; Trinity College moved to the new West Campus. In 1972, Trinity College and the Woman’s College merged into the coeducational Trinity College of Arts & Sciences.
Statue of Washington Duke, father of founder James B. Duke, on East Campus, 1935.
The first dean of Trinity College was William P. Few (1902-1910). The first dean of Arts & Sciences was Harold W. Lewis, appointed in 1963. In 1969, his title was changed to dean of the faculty of Arts & Sciences.
Ernestine Friedl (1980-85) was the first to hold the positions of dean of the faculty of Arts & Sciences and dean of Trinity College. Others to hold both posts were Richard A. White (from 1985 to 1989) and William H. Chafe (from 1997 to 1999). George L. McLendon became dean of the faculty of Arts & Sciences in (2004 - 2010)
Upon McLendon leaving the post in May 2010 for a provost role at another university, Dean of Natural Sciences Alvin Crumbliss, who had 40 years with Duke, agreed to a one-year term (2010 - 2011).
Laurie L. Patton became dean of Arts and Sciences and professor of religion in July 2011. Previously, she was the Charles Howard Candler Professor of Religions at Emory University and directed Emory’s Center for Faculty Development and Excellence.