Dear Professor ____
I write to inform you of the materials you will need to furnish for your upcoming reappointment/promotion/appointment review. All these materials are described on the website that outlines Duke's personnel procedures: http://www.facultyaffairs.provost.duke.edu/. In particular, it will help the review committee for you to provide:
1. (For external candidates; omit this section if letter is to an internal candidate)
A current curriculum vitae, with an attached list of your ten most important publications and professional contributions, rank-ordered by you. In the margins, please number your CV to correspond to this rank-ordered list (1-10);
1. (For internal candidates; omit this section if letter is for an external candidate)
A current curriculum vitae with an attached list of your ten most important publications and professional contributions, rank ordered by you. Please have your CV include two additional features: 1) The department/research area for Ph.D., title of Ph.D. dissertation and name of Ph.D. advisor, 2) marginal numbers identifying the items on your rank-ordered list (1-10);
2. A synopsis of your intellectual interests, especially concerning interdisciplinary research;
3. A statement of your intellectual development, describing your research (completed, in progress, and planned), your teaching (philosophy and goals, strategy and approaches, and courses developed and envisioned), and your service to your university and to the profession;
4. One copy each of the ten publications, manuscripts, and other accomplishments included on your top-ten list described above. Any books you provide will be returned to you upon the review's completion. It would be helpful if you could include copies of published reviews of your work as well;
5. A list of graduate mentoring activities;
6. Course outlines for the last three years;
7. (for external candidates only; the department furnishes evaluations for internal candidates.) Student evaluations of your courses, if available; and
8. An alphabetical list of your collaborators.
You are free to suggest up to three scholars outside Duke who know your work and are capable of writing an independent evaluation of it. This is not a requirement, and candidates sometimes waive this privilege. You may also identify scholars you do not want us to contact, explaining why.
We ask that you submit these materials to PUT IN FULL ADDRESS by ____. If you have any questions, please let me know.
Department chair (or unit head)