Joshua E. S. Socolar
- Center for Theoretical & Mathematical Sciences
- 096 Physics
- Campus Box 90305
- Phone: (919) 660-2557
- Fax: (919) 660-2525
For more information, see
Prof. Socolar's Home Page.
Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics; Nonlinear Dynamics; Systems Biology
Prof. Socolar is interested in the principles that determine
collective behavior in condensed matter and dynamical systems.
His current research interests include:
- Organization and function of complex dynamical networks, especially genetic regulatory networks;.
- The spatial distribution of stresses granular materials (e.g.
bins of sand, coal, pills, or grain) and jamming phenomena;
- Controlling chaos, or understanding feedback mechanisms that can stabilize otherwise unstable ordered behavior in chaotic dynamical systems;
- Quasicrystals, packing problems, and tiling theory.