The institution now known as Duke University was founded in Randolph County, NC, in 1838, as Brown’s Schoolhouse. By 1859, it had been renamed Trinity College. Trinity College moved to Durham, North Carolina, and what is now East Campus in 1892.
In 1924, James B. Duke founded Duke University, naming it for his family. Trinity College then became the undergraduate college for men. In 1930, the Woman’s College for undergraduate women opened on East Campus and the men's college (Trinity College) moved to the new West Campus. In 1972, Trinity College and the Woman’s College merged into the coeducational Trinity College of Arts & Sciences as we know it today.