Duke is a rich place to study, practice and perform art, creative writing, dance, media and visual arts, music and theater. Our programs are defined by the university’s culture of cross-disciplinary research and education. As a result, the whole of Duke serves as a resource for the arts, informing and deepening student and faculty exploration of artistic expression and tradition.
We also have deep connections with regional and national professional arts organizations that give students real-world exposure to the diverse practitioners, business practices and community that makes up the thriving world of the arts. Duke's arts departments and programs are a thriving part of the university's humanities and liberal arts culture.
Highlights of the Arts at Duke
- Powerful, experiential student engagement with the Durham and Research Triangle Park community, American Dance Festival and Full Frame Documentary Film Festival
- Ample opportunity for students to perform and exhibit compositions
- Behind-the-scenes exposure to professional arts organizations
- Culture of continuous renewal and reflection through visiting artists program
- Access to other disciplines across the breadth of Duke to inform artistic expression and research
- Lessons, ensembles, performances and classes taught by distinguished arts faculty open to all students who want to engage in the arts as part of their daily lives
Please see our departments, centers and affiliated research groups below.