Office of Student Returns

Request for Leave

Complete a Request for Leave if you wish to take a Personal Leave of Absence, a Medical Leave of Absence or a Voluntary Withdrawal by clicking on the following link: 

Request for Leave of Absence 

Checklist for Students Requesting a Leave of Absence

1. Complete the Request for Leave of Absence (click the link above). 

2. Schedule an appointment with your Academic Dean in order to discuss your leave, expectations during your leave and plans to return. To locate the name of your Academic Dean, check Duke Hub. 

3. Contact the Bursar's Office and settle any financial obligations you may have or to ask any questions about pro-rated refunds on tuition. Click the following link to see the Bursar's Tuition Withdrawal Adjustment schedule. The Bursar's Office can be reached at (919) 684-3531 or We recommend that you call and email the Bursar's office. 

4. Generally, when students residing on campus request a leave of absence of any kind, they are provided 72 hours to move off of campus. If you are a residential student on campus, please be sure to follow move-out protocol. The Office of Student Returns is unable to assist with move-out protocol or decision making surrounding housing move-out procedures. If you have questions about proper move-out protocol, please contact: and reach out to your Residential Coordinator to let them know of your plans. You can find your Resident Coordinator's contact information using the following link: Resident Coordinators-East and West Campus.

5. The Duke Student Health Insurance plan is purchased for the entire academic school year and the plan runs from August 1 to July 31. Answers related to the Duke Student Health Insurance plan can be found by clicking on the following link: Duke Student Health Insurance Plan. 

6. If you are an International Student, be sure to contact Duke Visa Services as soon as you decide to take a leave of absence so they can assist with Visa status, filing and questions pertinent to your leave. Duke Visa Services can be reached at (919) 681-8472 or We recommend that you call and email the Visa Services office. 

7. When you are ready to return, please click on the following link: Request for Return