Office of Student Returns

Request for Return

Complete a Request for Return by clicking on the following link: 

Request for Return 

If you are Requesting Return from a Medical Leave of Absence, your treating providers will complete the following form. Once completed, your providers can secure email the forms to or fax the forms to (919) 668-6393. 

Treating Provider's Recommendations for Return

Checklist for Students Requesting a Return 

1. Consult deadlines for return and pay special attention to registration dates. 

2. Complete the Request for Return: Request for Return

3. Contact the Bursar's Office to reconcile any outstanding financial balances and ensure you have clearance for return. The Bursar's Office can be reached at (919) 684-3531 or We recommend that you call and email the Bursar's office. 

4. International students: Contact Duke Visa Services as soon as you determine that you will request to return to Duke. Student Visa Services can inform you of visa matters related to your return.  Duke Visa Services can be contacted at or (919) 681-8472. 

5. Housing Request: Contact Housing and Residence Life regarding your residency while your request for return is under review.

6. Request for Transfer Credit: If you are eligible to transfer credits back to Duke, you must request that an official transcript be sent directly to Duke's Registrar's Office. Only transcripts sent directly from the visiting institution’s Office of the Registrar are considered official documents. It is against faculty regulations for any candidate to take a course at another university and later enroll in the equivalent course at Duke. After your official transcript has been reviewed by your review committee, it will be forwarded to Duke’s Office of the Registrar independent of your return decision. If you were academically dismissed or suspended, you are not eligible to receive credit for course work completed during your separation period.

7. Student Disability Access Office (SDAO): Students experiencing mental health and health concerns may qualify for classroom or housing accommodations through the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA). Please visit the SDAO website or call the Student Disability Access Office, at (919) 668-1329 for additional information.