Grades: Changes

By university regulation and with the exception of “I” and “X” grades, changes in end-of-term grades may be made by the instructor only because of an error in calculation or an error in transcription. Changes in grades may not be based on the late submission of required work, the resubmission of work previously judged unsatisfactory, or on additional work. No changes may be made in a grade after the end of the semester following the one in which the grade was assigned, although cases of error discovered after the deadline may be appealed by the student or the instructor to the Office of the Provost.   

The purpose of these regulations is to promote accurate record-keeping and careful grade reporting as well as to protect instructors from student pressure.


Faculty policy stipulates that grade changes may only be requested due to computation or transcription errors. Grade change requests from I, N, and X grades require no explanation. Once a grade has been posted, it cannot be changed online. Grade changes must be submitted on departmental letterhead and addressed to Frank Blalark, Assistant Vice Provost and University Registrar. Please include the following information:

  • student name and student ID number
  • academic term
  • subject, catalog number, section number
  • grade already given to the student
  • new grade
  • brief explanation of the reason for the change (Remember, faculty policy states that grade changes may be requested due only to computation or transcription errors.); changes from I, N, and X grades require no explanation

The letter must contain the instructor's signature (no digital signatures) and date, and the letter may either be faxed (919-684-4500), scanned and attached to an email (, or hand-delivered to the Office of the University Registrar. Campus mail is not recommended.

See also: