Policy & Procedure
Students must submit the online request for part-time status by the last day of classes in the term that immediately precedes their final term of enrollment at Duke.
- Students graduating in Fall/December must request part-time status by the last day of classes in the preceding spring term.
- Students graduating in Spring/May must request part-time status by the last day of classes in the preceding Fall term.
Students enrolled part-time will not be able to take courses using the interinstitutional agreement.
- As a part-time student, you may enroll in no less than one (1.0) and no more than two-and-a half (2.5) course credits.
- A course that is audited is included in the maximum of 2.5 course credits allowed.
- If part-time, you retain access to all university resources and amenities. However, housing is not guaranteed and may be denied. And there could be financial aid implications.
- Discuss your eligibility for housing with Housing, Dining and Residence Life (HDRL) and the financial aid implications with your financial aid officer.
- Part-time students are charged tuition on a per credit basis. There is information on tuition costs in the Undergraduate Bulletin, under Financial Information. Or you may call the Bursar's Office and ask for current tuition fees for part-time status.
- To discuss your eligibility for part-time status, confer with your academic dean.
To apply for part-time status in your last semester at Duke, complete the following form and submit it to the office of your academic dean by the last day of classes in the term that immediately precedes your final term of enrollment at Duke.