Leave of Absence: Personal

A personal leave of absence allows you to interrupt your studies and take control of your individual academic journey.

Reasons for a personal leave might include:

  • a desire to travel
  • participate in a non-academic program
  • work and earn money
  • attend to a family crisis
  • or gain a sense of direction.

While on a personal leave, you may take courses at another four-year institution for transfer credit at Duke, although you are limited in how much credit will transfer following the normal rules for transfer credit, e.g., you may transfer a maximum of two institutional transfer credits to Duke. 

  • You are not allowed to enroll as a full-time degree-seeking student in another university while on a leave of absence.  

If you are contemplating a personal leave, contact the Time Away Office to discuss dates, deadlines, and other options that might be appropriate. You can also explore time away information on the Time Away Office website, where you will find a Time Away Inquiry Form.

  • Once you have filled out the form and followed the other steps on Time Away checklist, the Time Away Office will notify your dean and all appropriate offices of your time away.
  • For questions on how to take a personal leave of absence, contact the Time Away Office. 
  • For general questions on finances, contact the Bursar's Office.
  • For information on housing, contact the Office of Housing, Dining, and Residential Life (HDRL).
  • For questions on financial aid, contact Financial Aid.  
  • For information on returning from a personal leave of absence, see the Time Away Office.








See also: